Sunday, November 1, 2009

What to work on

So this past week of presentations has gotten me to start thinking about the next one. I'm a little behind on my preparations, but I'll be working hard on it tomorrow in the library. I have a basic concept, I think, but no real definitive idea or thesis statement to officially begin work on.

What I really wanted to talk about was how to make my presentation better. The presentation I did felt like it went pretty well. Sure I was extremely nervous, but I still thought I was able to get through the thing with a coherent concept. Reading the comments from the others I learned about my hand gestures. Now I don't know if they meant this in a bad way, but I think they did. I seriously didn't think about this, and I guess my hands just moved naturally. I know that usually when I present something or try to describe something just as simple as directions to somewhere, I tend to use my hands. I think is has something to do with my visual learning style, and maybe I think by showing it with my hands, the other person will better understand me. I will try to limit this, though, if I get a negative score from it.

I did get generally good comments from the others. They liked my opener and they saw that I was really into my topic, and I was. I found it most interesting that people wrote how confident I sounded. I was nervous! So I guess I will apply this concept of thinking confidently about my topic while I present it, and hope that is shows through. I will also try and practice my presentation a couple more times before the actual presentation. I think that was part of what contributed to my being nervous the first time.

I hope to have a good presentation, and learning from my mistakes here will help me to better achieve that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment