Sunday, December 6, 2009

"Fairy Tale"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JRtGMBUz0

this is song from the Eurovision contest that was held this past year in Moscow. The interesting thing about this song is the text. The take on the song is very interesting, and I don't know what to properly make of it. The mood seems to contradict itself, and is slighty bipolar. From verse to verse the mood changes. For example he sings "Years ago, when I was younger/ I kinda liked a girl I knew/ she was mine and we were sweethearts." It's very superficial, and nothing quite so deep. This seems to follow more the pop culture views on fairy tale, the "happily ever after" concept.

This contradicts heavily with the chorus "I'm in love with a fairy tale/ Even though it hurts/ Cause I don't care if I lose my mind/ I'm already cursed." Very dark lyrics for something that starts out so happy-go-lucky. I don't know which one to believe, it this really a careless love song, or something much darker? the visual aspects of the chorus follow what I've come to discover over this semester in the literary aspects of fairy tales. Something more morbid, more along the lines of Bluebeard

I think this song, though written for a European contest, proves something interesting about society's relationship with fairy tales. We want the best of both worlds, I think, the entertainment aspect of the death, destruction, and mayhem, along with the pleasing and optimistic characteristics of happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment